An amazing day at TEDxNorwichEd presenting The Shoeness of a Shoe and our journey over the past 5 years to #flipthenarrative. A humbling and emotional experience that we hope shared for many, hope and positivity for our children, young people and adults who are still perceived as ‘different’ in a world where we are all different, yet the same, one, human.
You can watch our TEDx here: https://youtu.be/DXBdiGUQ8Lw
You can find out what we are doing now in 2023 here:
- Dynamic Deputies – https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/a-seat-for-every-child-elly-chapple/id1449384975?i=1000551696621
- Alliance Against Restraint and Seclusion – https://fb.watch/jV4BcjBQli/
- Joining Lisa Cherry who creates social change, one connection at a time. You can watch our episode about Inclusion in Education and our Communities: https://youtu.be/ofbpy2HUIL0
- Talking with Debra Ruh, the CEO of Ruh Global Impact: https://youtu.be/mjbdvRuozpQ
- Joining the wonderful Becky Lyddon: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/2-11-understanding-behaviour-at-home-with-elly-chapple/id1498088239?i=1000516915029
- We were thrilled to join Jenny Trott for her podcast to create a positive life for people you care about. You can watch it here: https://youtu.be/zH2SpBtl8wc
2018-2020 was a fantastic step in our learning and journey to #FlipTheNarrative…..after a humbling and inspiring 2018 which opened up our world. #CoPro19 Working Together Conference was a superb start to the year in Stockport, working in partnership with Gareth D Morewood.
A short video of #CoPro19 can be seen here!
- We joined the United Learning SEND Conference in March with David Bartram
- The Great North ACEs Conference in April was next, held at St James Park organised by CEL&T and Dr Wendy Thorley where we shared our Institutional ACEs concept and #flipthenarrative
- We completed our Friends Resilience training in the North East
- In June we were honoured to attend the #CambsEdFest in Cambridge to #flipthenarrative – our discussion with paralympian Elizabeth Wright, Frederika Roberts and Rae Snape and me can be watched here: https://youtu.be/84EyF68FznU
- We then attended the Festival of Education at Wellington College, as part of the SEND strand, working alongside esteemed colleagues such as Barney Angliss and Bethlyn Killey to name but two.
- July saw us present #flipthenarrative and Agents of Change at the PRUsAP Annual Conference Flipping the Narrative
The TEDx At Norwich was next, concluding our busy summer work!
- September started with our focused RRISC work and the meeting of the national steering group in London
We had the honour of joining Asda for their Inclusion Week managers conference in Leeds sharing our TEDx and why we need to #flipthenarrative in our work lives and also recognise the importance of ‘Being You’
We joined Raising the Bar 3 to reflect on what we bring to the table to support others, in particular those who may often be missed within our societal view. I had the honour of meeting the tour de force that is Sally Phillips again and was blown away by the whole positive movement and narratives shared on the day.
November saw us join the Restraint Reduction Network in Bristol for their annual conference. We shared the human rights view around #flipthenarrative and why our approach to people we still yet do not understand, must be one focused within our view that everyone is human, regardless of difference.
FestABLE 2018 was the first national event we attended. Barney Angliss invited us to chair three sessions titled ‘These Are Our Children’. It was a wonderful opportunity to launch #flipthenarrative and meet Jonathan Bryan from TeachUsToo, Jon Reid and Max Green and George Fielding. A day that inspired many to strive for the feeling on that day – of one, together. Coming again in 2020!!
#WomenEd saw us join in the northern movement #WomenEdNE in the summer of 2018 with the growing voice of many in education. It was an honour to share our journey, how our ‘why’ came about from selling a growing business, to coming home and developing an out of the box approach for education with an amazing team of Intervenors.
at the University of Birmingham was a hugely inspiring day with so many people across the fields of education, health and social care. Brought to us by Thomas Doukas, Ann Fergusson, Michael Fullerton and Joanna Grace it was an amazing day to discuss the standards for people with PMLD
Later that month we were able to share our journey so far at #SendHELP in Durham alongside parents, professionals and people interested in how our children can and be in the world. It was a superb event hosted by NEU and organised by the phenomenal Mrs Emma Parker. Back again by popular demand this June!
November saw us join ResearchSEND at Manchester Metropolitan University to ‘promote the importance of research in meeting the needs of learners with SEND, through events, collaboration, publications and research projects’. A brilliant day across many fields of interest.
We were thrilled to be asked join the Newcastle Parent Carer Forum later that month for their 11th Annual Parent Carer Conference